By Dr. Hal Webb, Evangelist
"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment; for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" Deut. 22:5 The time has come for Christian men to ask the question, "Who wears the pants in our family?" Christian girls and women need to learn to dress in a manner pleasing to God, not according to style.
The pants-wearing woman often puts self and what style dictates ahead of God and His Word. Please consider these facts and study the scriptures.
A woman who wears men's clothes …… COMMITS ABOMINATION
Neither sex is allowed to wear clothing that resembles the other. This is clearly forbidden (Deut. 22:5). God's law was for the good of His people. Though believers are not now under the law, the holy nature of God does not change and His moral laws never change. What God hated then He is still against in our day as well. God's warning concerning what he calls abomination extends into every generation. For instance He is against homosexuality (Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13). He strongly restates this in the New Testament (Rom. 1:26-27; I Corinthians 6:9; and Colossians 3:5). He does the same with His order of sexes (I Corinthians 11:3, 8, 9; and I Timothy 2:12). Women who dress like men break a type of God's order in this world (Genesis 2:21-22). To wear men's clothes is to symbolically take the place that God never intended for the woman. Like Satan's rebellion (I Samuel 15:23) many women wearing pants seek to become equal: even taking the place of their leader-man (Genesis 3:16; I Corinthians 11:13). The women's lib crowd have no regard for Bible principles when they dress and make demands that are forbidden by God.
The woman who insists on wearing pants…… AIDS THE UNISEX MOVEMENT
Today's style is much dedicated to changing God's revealed order. All feminists and women's lib groups are filled with women who demand equality and even superiority over men. When God took the rib from Adam, he provided a helpmate, not his leader or even coequal (I Timothy 2:12). Christ is man's head and the man is to be the woman's head (I Corinthians 11:3; Esther 1:22). The unisex crowd cuts their hair short, and adopts man's pant-wearing style (Deuteronomy 22:5). They commit abomination and expect all mankind to accept their disobedience as OK. How foolish they are.
A woman who dresses in male clothing…… BLURS SEX DISTINCTION
Even the public rest room doors use the symbol of a man in pants and a woman in a dress. Pants- wearing women soon forget to walk, sit or even act like ladies. Many do not even own a dress. The enemies of Christ, our nation, and our homes and families are hard at work. They sissify men with effeminate apparel, styled unisex hairstyles (I Corinthians 11:14) and pretty shoes with high heels. Meanwhile women adopt clothing styled like a man's and set aside the pretty dresses that enhance the beauty of a true lady. This is all in the plans of those who seek to destroy the family structure as the Bible teaches it.
The woman who wear pants…… LOSES WOMANLY TRAITS
Modesty, purity, grace and the beauty of woman- hood can be lost in the wearing of pants. The pants- wearing woman often becomes coarse, develops brazen mannerisms, male stances and mannish actions. Christian women should be discrete, chaste, keepers of the home and obedient to their husbands (Titus 2:5). They should be modest (I Timothy 2:9-10), wise (Proverbs 14:1), virtuous (Proverbs 31:10) and gracious (Proverbs 11:16). Their clothes should be beautiful (Proverbs 31:22) not form-fitting pants or faded designer jeans.
A pants-wearing woman in the rush to be stylish…… INJURES HER TESTIMONY
One cannot teach younger women (Titus 2:4-5) while wearing proof of her own disobedience to God. Pants certainly can give the appearance of evil (I Thessalonians 5:22). The pants-wearing woman is often cheapened by her attire, obstructs her own witness to others and leads those younger than herself into outward rebellion. A book is known by it's wrapper and a woman is known by her apparel. If you are not for the feminist movement then why do you want to dress like them. You disgrace your husband and dishonor the name of Jesus. Many pants-wearing women kindle the fire of adultery in the hearts of men.
This…… CAUSES MORAL DAMAGE
Perhaps it will surprise you to learn that a man's sexual appetites are stirred by what he sees. Many women reading this are very aware of this and shop accordingly. Women in tight pants, shorts, skimpy bathing suits and short and slit dresses are strong instigators of temptation. The Bible warns if a man lusts with his eyes he commits adultery (Matthew 5:28). Pants outline the female form in such a way it is hard for a man to have pure thoughts. Thin T shirts and skimpy tops further flame the lust of men. Most teenage girls dress in a way that make it nearly impossible for young men to "flee youthful lusts" (I Timothy 2:22). In the judgment women will face their deeds including the effect of their clothes upon men (II Corinthians 5:10). There was more than a commercial in the phrase "Show me your underalls." Jeans manufacturers know just how to use their product to appeal to sex awakening youngsters.
Outwardly the pant-wearing woman mirrors her inward rebellious attitude and…… SHOWS HER REBELLION
I'm sure many Christian women do not see the error of wearing pants. Others say "I don't care what the Bible says, I'll wear my pants anyway!" This clearly constitutes rebellion which is like the sin of witchcraft and adultery (I Samuel 15:23). Rebellion exalts self (Psalm 66:7), it is evil (Proverbs 17:11) and brings judgment (Isaiah 1:20). Many women have headed up opposition to drive a pastor from his pulpit on the issue of apparel. It is a forbidden subject to many pastors who dare not raise the anger of church women. Religious, compromising clergy join in the ridicule of honest men who with backbone preach what the Bible teaches.
It is tragic to hear the arguments as the pant wearing woman…… LIFTS SELF AND STYLE ABOVE GOD
Certainly God should be first in the consideration of the clothes you wear (I Corinthians 10:31) Above all, a Christian woman should dress to please God and mirror the quality and obedience of a Godly woman. Her beauty is to be inward (I Peter 3:3), with meek and quiet spirit (I Peter 3:4) and subject to her husband (I Peter 3:5). Christian discipleship demands total surrender to Christ and non-conformity to the world (Romans 12:1&2). One must measure style by the standards of the Word of God (Philippines 4:8) and loving not the world (I John 2:15-17).
The pants-wearing woman is usually filled with…… ARGUMENTS AND JUSTIFICATIONS
1. Mine are really woman's apparel." The truth is that most are designed to make women look like men. The location of the zipper or the color or texture does not keep them from resembling the attire of men. Jeans are especially offensive for they are exactly alike...made so for the desired effect on unisex-oriented teens.
2. "The ones I wear are modest." Wrong again! They are bound to cling and conform to the shape of your hips and legs. Teen girls especially tend to pour themselves into their jeans and teen boys are very much excited sexually. When topped by a thin T-shirt with little or nothing under, such attire is an explosive threat to decent men and a clear "come on" to lustful males. How can one kindly say what most older women in pants look like? "Could one say the south end of a hippopotamus walking north"? Anyway, the body of a quality woman is reserved for her husband alone and not for the wandering gaze of the multitudes. Scripture is clear in that men who lust will give an account to God at the judgment. Certainly the women who's attire ignited that lust will also be accountable to God.
3. "I wear them just because of style" Really! Isn't it more truthful to say you must conform to the mode of dress worn by those around you? You can't stand dressing different at the school or office and you simply must be "trendy" in the world of women. Style following what violates clear scriptural commands is simply sinful rebellion and shows a lack of surrender to Christ.
4. "I don't think they are wrong." Could they not trip others? Might they not cause someone to fall or be offended? (Romans 14:13). Isn't there some doubt in your mind about wearing them? (Romans 14:23). If your pants trip one man into adultery will God not bring you into account? (II Corinthians 5:19). Can you wear pants and still be against the feminist movement that pushes for unisex. Will such apparel show your devotion and obedience to Christ or indicate pleasing others is more important than obedience to Christ?
5. "In Bible times they all wore robes." Perhaps so but with a difference. Men's were wrap around while women's were put on over the head and more ornate. Deuteronomy 22:5 clearly teaches a difference that God desires to be maintained. In every age a difference has been seen in the dress of the sexes. Not until this age did women turn so strongly to a desire to dress and look like men.
6. "I have to wear them at work." Not usually so, and even if required you could wear a skirt over them, to and from work, as a better testimony. Most men would rather see you looking like a lady anyway.
7. "I have arthritis or it is too cold." Strange, the same people wear them in the summer. We hear the same excuses in Florida and Vermont. Are there no other options for warmth that can be worn under your dress? Didn't great women of years ago have arthritis or get cold? Pictures show them skating and riding and playing games quite well looking like beautiful women instead of one of the boys.
8. "Well, I don't wear them to church." Good for you! That's a good start. Even the house of God has fallen in the esteem of women who wear them to church. Would you be casual to meet the Queen of England or would you select a beautiful dress? Isn't worship in God's house important enough to look your very best? Good pastors are often offended by pant-clad women worshipers. A ladylike dress adds beauty to your attending family, shows great example to daughters and is a mark of discipline and surrender to God. Of course, an unsaved woman should never be refused worship except in extreme immoral exposure in attire. She needs to hear the truth and if Godly women are dressed right she will get the message. Why not every- where, dress as ladies who seek to please and honor Jesus Christ
9. "Oh you are just being legalistic." Legalism is unnecessary trappings of religious thought added to the faith that saves. Even some clergy brothers have fallen for this one. In their desire to be popular and to not make waves they consider apparel not important. The same brethren are always loose in other standards and beliefs that over the years have made Christians different and faithful to scriptural commands. Obedience to the Word is not legalism in any sense of the word. It is sad to hide behind that word to make opportunity to cheapen the clear stand Biblical women have taken through the years. God's Word urges us to deny our desires, die to self, and obey (Matthew 16:24; John 14:15; Romans 6:11-13; Romans 12:2).
Please remember it is your soul that matters most of all. Without the mind of Christ you will probably not agree with these (old time) Biblical truths. If you are not "Born Again" you will not under- stand why apparel is so important. First accept Christ as Saviour as John 3:3 teaches. Then you will be ready to obey those things that will cause your Christian growth. First get your heart right and you will learn how to live and dress as a child of God. What one wears is but a part of the obedient life of true believers. These words have been written to help weak and compromising believers. Not one verse of scripture justifies the wearing of pants by women while many verses forbid it. Whatever you wear, be sure you will be thankful you did so when you stand before Christ in the Judgment. "To obey is better than sacrifice" I Sam. 15:22.